Brother Francis Shelter (BFS) is a low-barrier emergency shelter for adults in Anchorage who are experiencing homelessness. BFS serves those experiencing homelessness with dignity, care, compassion, and with an emphasis on moving guests toward permanent stability. We provide the support services necessary to move out of homelessness, including housing case management and more. Through the The Caring Clinic, Medical Respite program, and healthcare transportation assistance, Brother Francis also strengthens the connection between guests and healthcare services. BFS provides guests access to a variety of different services and supportive programs to help them on their path to permanent stability.
827 guests stayed at Brother Francis Shelter in FY 23, with Medical Respite serving 121 guests.
Get Help from Brother Francis Shelter
To inquire about staying at Brother Francis Shelter, call 907-277-1731.
To stay at Brother Francis Shelter, you must be:
- At least 18 years old
- Currently experiencing homelessness
- Not a danger to yourself or others
- Able to independently provide self-care (e.g., the ability to get up and down from beds, shower, use the restroom, and dress independently)
- Free of highly contagious medical conditions (e.g., Tuberculosis, ringworm, chicken pox, whooping cough, measles, COVID-19)
- Able to comply with shelter policies and procedures
Brother Francis Shelter provides:
- Overnight baggage storage, dinner, showers, laundry, basic medical care, medicine storage, clothing room, activities for guests
- The Caring Clinic at BFS provides free access to preventative care, acute illness treatment, wound care, skin infection treatment, laceration repair, injuries, cough/colds/flu, sore throat treatment, and more
- BFS’s Medical Respite gives guests a safe and semi-private space to recover from surgery and acute injuries after they have been discharged from the hospital
- Transportation for guests to hospitals and specialists
- On-site Case Management utilizing a client-centered approach in working with guests to make personalized goals to move forward on their path to permanent stability
- BFS’s In-House Program helps guests acquire work experience by performing tasks which assist in daily shelter operations. This program increases a guests social and employment skills, while also improving their sense of self-worth
Learn More about Brother Francis Shelter
Location: 1021 E 3rd Avenue, Anchorage, Alaska 99501
Hours: 24 hours/day, 365 days/year
Phone: 907-277-1731 (front desk)
Director of Brother Francis Shelter: Jennifer Stoehr, firstname.lastname@example.org