Catholic Social Services Pregnancy Support & Adoption Services (PSAS) provide services pertinent to adopting a child. One of the first tasks an adoptive family faces in the process is procuring an adoption home study.
At Catholic Social Services, we provide home study services for families engaged in our Infant Adoption Program, families working with a licensed or accredited adoption agency for private domestic adoption, families looking to expand their family through foster care adoption, and through our agreement with the State of Alaska Office of Children’s Services for children in foster care.
The Adoption Home Study Experience
A home study is a very thorough assessment of your home that includes the history of all members of the household, fingerprinting and background checks, a financial history for your family, mental health and physical health history and an assessment of the family’s readiness for adoption.
The adoption home study process generally takes two to three months to complete. Home study costs vary from program to program due to the various requirements for each type of study.
PSAS Home Study Writers Workshop
There are three scheduled Home Study Writers Workshops:
- Anchorage: Friday, September 14 and Saturday, September 15, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. on both days. It will be at Catholic Social Services, 3710 E. 20th Ave., in the conference room.
- Fairbanks: Friday, October 5 from 12:30 – 6:00 p.m. and Saturday, October 6, 2018 10:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. It will be at Noel Wien Public Library, 1215 Cowles St., in the conference room.
- Juneau: Friday, October 19 from 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. It will be at Office of Children Services, 9107 Mendenhall Mall Road.
These trainings will:
- Set guiding principles for adoption practice
- Expand on a basic understanding of adoption
- Give an understanding of the unique professional role of the home study writer
- Develop skills for conducting a family assessment
Applications are due the Friday before the workshop: September 7 for Anchorage, September 28 for Fairbanks, and October 12 for Juneau. Morning refreshments and drinks provided. Please bring a brown bag lunch both days as there will not be time to leave the training site.
Basic requirements for becoming a PSAS Home Study Writer are:
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or a related field; OR
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field, plus one year of experience as a caseworker; AND
- Professionals with documentation of prior experience in home study writing or other professional case work writing skills
If you’re ready to get started, please fill out and submit the appropriate application.Anchorage Home Study Writers Application Share the Anchorage workshop flyer! Fairbanks Home Study Writers Application Share the Fairbanks workshop flyer! Juneau Home Study Writers Application Share the Juneau workshop flyer!
Tami Jo Watson, MS
Pregnancy Support and Adoption Services Program Director
Catholic Social Services