Catholic Social Services Pregnancy Support and Adoption Services provide all services pertinent to adopting a child. One of the first tasks an adoptive family faces in the adoption process is procuring a home study.
At Catholic Social Services, we provide home study services for families engaged in our Infant Adoption Program, International Adoption Program and through our agreement with the State of Alaska Office of Children’s Services for children in foster care.
A home study is a very thorough assessment of your home that includes the history of all members of the household, fingerprinting and background checks, a financial history for your family, mental health and physical health history and an assessment of the family’s readiness for adoption. The home study process generally takes two to three months to complete. Home Study costs vary from program to program due to the various requirements for each type of study.
PSAS Home Study Writers Workshop
The next workshop is Friday & Saturday, August 25 & 26, 2017, from 10:30am-5pm at the Noel Wien Public Library (1215 Cowles St., Fairbanks, AK 99701). This training will:
- Set guiding principles for adoption practice.
- Expand on a basic understanding of adoption.
- Give an understanding of the unique professional role of the home study writer.
- Develop skills for conducting a family assessment.
Applications are due by August 21, 2017, the Monday before the week of the workshop.
Morning refreshments and drinks provided.
Please bring a brown bag lunch both days as there will not be time to leave the training site.
Basic requirements for becoming a PSAS Home Study Writer are:
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or a related field
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field, plus one year of experience as a caseworker;
- Professionals with documentation of prior experience in home study writing or other professional case work writing skills
- Friday & Saturday, August 25 & 26, 2017 at the Noel Wien Public Library (1215 Cowles St., Fairbanks, AK 99701) in Fairbanks.
For more information, please contact:
Tami Jo Watson, MS
Pregnancy Support and Adoption Services Program Director
Catholic Social Services