We have volunteer opportunities at four of our eight programs. Check out our current opportunities. Please contact Laura Rice, Community Engagement Manager, for more information.
Open Monday – Thursday 9 am – 1 pm
And 4th Wednesday of the month, 4 to 6:30 pm
- Guide clients through the pantry
- Shift schedule worked out with Community Engagement Manager after applying
- Assist with meal preparation, service, and clean-up in our kitchen.
- Shifts available Monday-Sunday, 6:30 – 8:30 pm
- Orientation held every Thursday at 5:45 pm at Brother Francis Shelter. Contact Laura Rice, Community Engagement Manager, about attending orientation.
- Provide basic medical care to Brother Francis Shelter guests during clinic hours, evenings and weekends.
- Must be licensed or certified in the medical field (CNA, RN, MD, PA, EMT) or studying to work in the medical field.
- In the spirit of Washing of the Feet, join a dedicated team that cares for the feet of shelter guests twice monthly. (Requires special training that is provided to address the health issues commonly seen.)
- Work with case management or program management to design and facilitate 1 hour workshops on special topics (e.g. Resume building, Interviewing skills, Creative Writing, Dealing with Anxiety and other areas of wellness).
- Days & times are negotiable.
- Assist with answering phones, scanning of registration packets; assist in light filing or shredding
- Shifts Monday-Friday, 9 am – 3 pm
- Assist shelter with special deep cleaning and maintenance projects
- 2-4 hour shifts as needed
- Sit one-on-one with a guest and listen to him or her share their story
- Available evenings
Brother Francis Shelter Advisory Council
- Join other community members who work to advocate and fundraise on behalf of the shelter (Requires a long-term commitment and special application process).
- Share your skills and interests with the women of Clare House. Lead an educational workshop or provide crafts/entertainment for the families.
- Let us know the type of activity you’d like to lead.
Due to the president’s executive order pausing resettlement, we are currently not receiving any new refugee clients into Anchorage and will not be at least until June. Until then we are “on hold” and are limited in our need for RAIS volunteers. We will keep your name on the list of available volunteers and will be in touch when the need arises for assistance with new arrivals.
For now, one the most important things you can do for our current and future refugee clients is to advocate on their behalf. Stay informed about the ongoing political situation regarding immigration. Contact your elected officials and let them know your position on all aspects of the political debate. We will continue to conduct advocacy and information sessions about the refugee plight and the vetting process. Please contact RAIS Volunteer Coordinator Sarah Cross at firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know if you are interested in attending monthly information sessions.
Transportation Opportunities –Shifts available weekdays 9-5
- Provide transportation to clients for medical and other appointments
Front Desk Volunteer –Shifts available weekdays 9-5
- It is RAIS’ goal to establish an organized system of helping clients meet with the correct RAIS staff members
- Utilize and develop both client and administrative support skills
Donation Room Organizer – Shifts available weekdays 9-5
- Assist Reception & Placement team with preparing items to set up refugees first home in Anchorage
- Organize household item & winter clothing donation room
Fresh International Gardens Project Volunteer Shifts (Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays from June 15- September 26)
- Transport clients and produce from Fresh International Gardens (intersection of N. Lane and McPhee in Mt. View) to farmers markets across Anchorage.
- Volunteers please arrive at Fresh International Gardens two hours before the market begins to transport clients and produce to the market. SEE THE FLYER
Mountain View Farmers Market
3543 Mountain View Drive
Thursdays 3-7 pm
June 15-September 14, 2017
Muldoon Farmers Market
Begich Middle School
7440 Creekside Center Drive
Saturdays 9:30 pm-2:30 pm
June 24-September 23, 2017
Town Square Farmers Market
Town Square Park
544 W 5th Ave
Tuesdays 12-5 pm
June 27-September 26, 2017
- Offer a field trip opportunity to refugee clients
Support On-Going Program Functions
- Organize Donation Drives – please contact RAIS for needed donation items
- Grant Writing
- Graphic Design
If you have any questions, please contact: