We have volunteer opportunities at four of our eight programs. Check out our current opportunities. Please contact Rachel Watters for more information.
Open Monday – Thursday 9 am – 1 pm
And 4th Wednesday of the month, 4 to 6:30 pm
- Guide clients through the pantry
- Shift schedule worked out with Community Engagement Manager after applying
- Assist with meal preparation, service, and clean-up in our kitchen.
- Shifts available Monday-Sunday, 6:30 – 8:30 pm
- Orientation held every Thursday at 5:45 pm at Brother Francis Shelter. Contact Rachel Watters about attending orientation.
- Provide basic medical care to Brother Francis Shelter guests during clinic hours, evenings and weekends.
- Must be licensed or certified in the medical field (CNA, RN, MD, PA, EMT) or studying to work in the medical field.
- In the spirit of Washing of the Feet, join a dedicated team that cares for the feet of shelter guests twice monthly. (Requires special training that is provided to address the health issues commonly seen.)
- Work with case management or program management to design and facilitate 1 hour workshops on special topics (e.g. Resume building, Interviewing skills, Creative Writing, Dealing with Anxiety and other areas of wellness).
- Days & times are negotiable.
- Assist with answering phones, scanning of registration packets; assist in light filing or shredding
- Shifts Monday-Friday, 9 am – 3 pm
- Assist shelter with special deep cleaning and maintenance projects
- 2-4 hour shifts as needed
- Sit one-on-one with a guest and listen to him or her share their story
- Available evenings
Brother Francis Shelter Advisory Council
- Join other community members who work to advocate and fundraise on behalf of the shelter (Requires a long-term commitment and special application process).
- Prepare and deliver meals to 60 women and children residents
- Meal providers commit to one day per month or every other month
- 3 slots currently available; 1st Monday (every other month), 2nd Monday, and 2nd Thursday every month
- Assist with kids activities such as arts and crafts, games, etc.
- Shifts available Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-8pm and weekends from 12-3pm
- Assist with answering phones and door; assist in light filing or shredding
- Shifts Friday, 8-11am
- Share your skills and interests with the women of Clare House. Lead an educational workshop or provide crafts/entertainment for the families.
- Let us know the type of activity you’d like to lead.
Due to recent changes, refugee resettlement has slowed both locally and nationally. We welcome volunteers into the RAIS team. Please note that the following volunteering opportunities are on an as needed basis, as we identify individual needs in our local refugee community. We will keep your name on the list of interested volunteers and be in touch when opportunities become available. For now, one the most important things you can do for our current and future refugee clients is to advocate on their behalf. Stay informed about the ongoing political situation regarding immigration. Contact your elected officials and let them know your position on all aspects of the political debate.
Moving Teams (as needed):
• Assist individuals/families move to new home within the Anchorage area
• Must have access to pick-up or large vehicle to assist with moving large items
• Ability to pick up furniture from donors and deliver to individual’s home
English Support Volunteer/Family Support Volunteer (as needed):
• Supports individuals and families in practicing English Language through conversations, exploring Alaska, shopping, banking, etc.
• Support individuals and families feel comfortable with bus schedule, where bus stops are located, how to plan around bus schedule (i.e., how long will ride take, where to change buses, etc.)
Homework Help (ongoing volunteer opportunity – Volunteers welcome!):
• Every Wednesday evening from 3-6pm
• All ages, All subjects
• GED support
• Citizenship Prep
Other On-going volunteer options:
- Offer a field trip opportunity to refugee clients
Support On-Going Program Functions
If you are interested in volunteering, please complete a volunteer application below and contact RAIS Volunteer Coordinator Sarah Cross at email@example.com with any questions.Apply to Volunteer
If you have any questions, please contact: