At Catholic Social Services, we provide home study services for families through our agreement with the State of Alaska Office of Children’s Services for children in foster care (Permanent Families Grant)
The Adoption Home Study Experience
A home study is a very thorough assessment of your home that includes the history of all members of the household, fingerprinting and background checks, a financial history for your family, mental health and physical health history and an assessment of the family’s readiness for adoption.
The adoption home study process generally takes two to three months to complete. Home study costs vary from program to program due to the various requirements for each type of study.
PSAS Home Study Writers Workshop
We also provide home study workshops. These workshops are held periodically throughout the year. This training will:
- Set guiding principles for adoption practice
- Expand on a basic understanding of adoption
- Give an understanding of the unique professional role of the home study writer
- Develop skills for conducting a family assessment
Our next Home Study Writers Workshop:
The Home Study Writers’ training originally scheduled for Friday, March 27, and Saturday, March 28, has been cancelled. Please check back in the future to see when the next scheduled workshop will take place.
Basic requirements for becoming a PSAS Home Study Writer are:
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or a related field; OR
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field, plus one year of experience as a caseworker; AND
- Professionals with documentation of prior experience in home study writing or other professional case work writing skills
If you’re ready to get started, please fill out and submit the appropriate application, when available.