Volunteer Opportunites at Catholic Social Services
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Catholic Social Services!
You help us further our mission to compassionately serve the poor and those in need, strengthen individuals and families, and advocate for social justice. Donating your time and talents – even a small amount – has the potential to create lasting effects in the lives of individuals and families. Volunteers at Catholic Social Services are the foundation of our agency!
How do I become a Catholic Social Services volunteer?
- Read through our list of frequently asked questions.
- Select a volunteer opportunity from our current list.
- Fill out a volunteer application packet and background check form and send it to the Volunteer Manager.
- The Volunteer Manager will review your application, submit your background check, and schedule an interview.
For RAIS Volunteers:
RAIS Volunteer Brochure
Refugee Assistance & Immigration Services Volunteer Handbook
What is a Family Mentor Volunteer?
Permission Form to transport refugee clients
Frequently asked questions about volunteering with CSS:
- Do you have a project for my group?
While every attempt is made to accomodate your group's desire to help CSS fulfill our mission, it is not always possible. Elements that affect group placement are size and age of group members and the month and day in which you are available. Please submit this form 4-8 weeks prior to the suggested date of your project.
- How do I volunteer at Brother Francis Shelter (BFS)?
If you wish to help serve dinner at BFS, please show up at 6:40 pm, sign in at the reception desk and a guest will show you to the kitchen. Please note that our kitchen is small - it can only accommodate about 5 volunteers at one time. This volunteer opportunity is first-come, first-serve. We do not have a full kitchen, meaning we don't prepare or cook food at BFS. CSS has a partnership with Providence Alaska Medical Center, whose cafeteria prepares and delivers an evening meal everyday of the year to BFS. Our program follows a model which uses the talents and motivation of our shelter guests to maintain and run the shelter. This means that the daily tasks of cleaning, serving meals, and sorting donations are done by folks who are currently staying at the shelter.
- I want to volunteer with refugees, how do I get started?
Before you get started, you'll need to attend a program orientation. Please call 222-7344 for information.
- What is a family mentor volunteer?
- How do I volunteer at Bean's Cafe or Covenant House?
Although Catholic Social Services works closely with Bean's Cafe and Covenant House, we are actually all separate agencies. You can reach Bean's by calling 274-9595. You can reach Covenant House by calling 272-1255.
- My 16 year old needs volunteer hours, what can he/she do?
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age unless accompanied by an adult if they are 16 or 17.
- Can I complete my community work service (CWS) at CSS?